Urick, Hunt Gear Up for Cabaret Night Performance

Jack Lemkuil, Staff Writer

According to the National Educational Longitudinal Study, High School music students have been shown to attain higher grade point averages (GPA) than non-musicians in the same school. There is a connection between being artistic as a musician and doing well academically in school.

Music is a form of education and it is a big part of Notre Dame Academy. School bands can be seen performing at football games, pep rallies, and many more events. There are 10 different music clubs and classes at NDA. There is Jazz Band, Jazz Combo, Pep/Marching Band, The Musical, Woodwind Choir, Percussion Ensemble, Music Ministry, Pit Orchestra, “Tritones” Vocal Jazz Choir, and Chamber Music Ensembles. Students have also taken their own liberty to create their own bands as well with their friends.

Sophomores Ella Hunt and Charlie Urick are performing at Cabaret Night, a night to recognize and celebrate all the accomplishments and hard work of students involved in the arts at NDA. Hunt and Urick are both involved in many music programs at NDA. They have both been in the school productions of “Beauty and the Beast” and “Anything Goes” with significant parts. They are also a part of the “Tritones” which is a jazz choir made up of various students at the school.

The type of music they will perform is soft rock and singer-songwriter. Hunt commented on their style: “His [Charlie’s] music reminds me of John Mayer and I’ve been told I sound like Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Bareilles, so probably a mix of those artists. But I’d love to do our own “Ella and Charlie” sound.”

Both are also interested in writing and singing their own songs. Urick said, “I love songwriting and have written quite a few songs already. I’m sure it is the same with Ella, so it will be interesting to add harmony and a second voice to some of my songs.”

Instruments are a major part of any group’s performance. Hunt and Urick each play a variety of instruments. Urick said, “I know Ella plays guitar, piano, and ukulele. Stuff that I can play are guitar, ukulele, piano, bass, and I’m not that good, but I can mess around on the drums.”

Singing and playing instruments are things that can take natural talent but getting good at them takes a lot of work. Mr. Bill Hill, band teacher at NDA, explains, “The harder you work, the better you get, and the more fun you have!”

He believes music has a good influence on young people and our society. Mr. Hill said, “Getting young people to play live music and create stuff is an important step in our culture.”

Mr. Hill said he has also helped set up student bands to encourage kids to explore the arts. He feels music has an impact at NDA with school spirit, talent, and the effort put into it.

“Cabaret Night will be a great time for students to get together and just put some stuff together. It is a great celebration of the arts,” Hill said.