Chinese Club Features Chinese Culture, Traditions

Junfeng (Lee) Ni, Staff Writer

NDA’s Chinese Club, according to its adviser, “provides an open, respectful environment where all students are welcomed to learn about, understand and appreciate Chinese culture, history, and traditions.”

This year, the club has about 45 members and is moderated by Chinese teacher Qiuhong Zhang and theology teacher Jane Hall, who is studying the language.

The two teachers started the club last year because NDA began offering Chinese as a language of study.  

Mrs. Zhang realized her students did not know a lot about Chinese culture but wanted to know more about it.

In addition to having Chinese as a course of study, Notre Dame Academy also has many international students who come from China.

Club member Maria Haske described the Chinese Club as “very different from others.”  Club activities include enjoying Chinese foods and teas or listening to Chinese songs.

The club organized the first Notre Dame Academy Ping Pong Tournament, and members also celebrate the Chinese New Year, the most important traditional festival for families in China. It is an official public holiday, during which most Chinese have seven days off work.

The ping Pong tournament for this year is scheduled for November 2 – 6.

Zhang emphasized that Chinese Club is not only about language, but also about culture and traditions.

She sees the club as an open window to see another culture and where students can have fun and make friendships.

Students who want to join Chinese Club should just Email her or Mrs. Hall, or go to Rooms 212  and 202 to find them.