Gold Diggers Crowned Intramural Volleyball Champs

2013 Intramural Volleyball Champions

Photo Submitted

2013 Intramural Volleyball Champions

Colleen Mortell, Staff Writer

Intramural sports have become popular among the student body at Notre Dame.  The annual intramural volleyball tournament recently ended, won by the senior team “The Gold Diggers.”  

Volleyball games were held on Saturdays at Notre Dame. The season began in early November, and ran for two months until the end of the first semester.

Physical and Earth Science teacher, Mr. Dan Winkler, is in charge of intramural volleyball.  He gained control of this club sport when he became the coach of Notre Dame’s JV Volleyball team.

“We had a total of five teams comprised of 8-10 members each.  Two teams were mainly upperclassmen and the other three were mainly freshmen,”  Mr. Winkler said.

To participate, a student must be in a good academic standing and pay a $10 activity fee.  Students on Notre Dame’s freshman, jv, and varsity volleyball teams are not allowed to play; however, they are welcome to coach teams.

This year’s champions received t-shirts in honor of their achievement.  The Gold Diggers was made up of seniors Greg Davis, Lydia Monfort, Ali Lemkuil, John Strutt, Kieran DeGroot, Nick Durkin, TJ LeMoine, Miranda Metzler, Ben Harpt, Austin Watzka, and Kristin Tomcheck.  The team was coached by Hannah Giovanetti.

Champion Miranda Metzler said, “I quit freshmen year after having shoulder surgery, and I really just missed the game! Also watching the varsity volleyball team made me want to play again!”

Another team member, Greg Davis, said, “Our team’s secret weapon was our chemistry.  The Gold Diggers had a very contagious atmosphere that I looked forward to every week.”

After participating last year on ND ‘13 grad Matt Silverberg’s intramural team, Davis knew he wanted to play again.

“Miranda Metzler asked me to join, and I knew we had a shot at victory,” Davis said.

Mr. Winkler advises future intramural volleyball players to reserve their Saturdays at the end of first semester for games.

“We are also looking to put together a faculty team next year,” Mr. Winkler said.