Senior Track Star Ian Boom Signs with Marquette University

“Running track is a journey. It can be a mentally hard sport, trying to time your reaction or just grind through a tough workout when your legs are dead, but it is so rewarding and an incredible feeling when you get done with your race and see you just ran a big PR,” said senior Ian Blom who recently signed with Marquette University in Milwaukee.

Blom signed there to pursue Track and Field and Dentistry.

“I chose Marquette because it felt like the right fit for me. I have cousins that go there already and they love it, and I wanted to get away from home, but not be too far. I also want to become a dentist, and Marquette is the only dental school in the state of Wisconsin,” the senior said.

Blom started running track in 6th grade.

“It depends on the meet, but I have run the 100 meter dash, 200 meter dash, 400 meter dash, and then the 4×100 meter relay, 4×200 meter relay and 4×400 meter relay. My favorite of all the races would be the 200 meter dash,” he said.

“I chose to run track to keep myself in great shape, to form friendships that will last a lifetime, and to push myself and compete every single day.”

Blom looks forward to watching the men’s basketball games at Marquette as well as competing for the Marquette track team.

“Going to Marquette men’s basketball games and running track in different states is what excites me about Marquette,” he said.

Blom also offered some advice for those that run track or want to run track.

“A piece of advice I have for track runners is to be confident in yourself, trust your coaches and the process and focus on technique because bad form and trying to force things will only lead to injury and frustration, and you won’t be able to reach your true potential.”