NDA’s Own ‘Princess’ Entertains Children with The Princess Company

Sometimes students have no idea what teachers might do outside the weekly school schedule. In the case of choir director Maria Hinnendael, you might find her partying or visiting hospitals as a princess.

“The Princess Co. is a children’s entertainment character-performing company. We attend birthday parties, sporting events, parades and community events in character to provide magical experiences for attendees. I sing songs sung by my character and lead activities such as stories, games, face painting, temporary tattoos, and so on,” said Hinnendael.

“From the start, TPC has invested in high quality costumes and has taken character representation seriously. The more exact my portal of the character is, the more believable it is for those involved,” she continued.

In brief, Hinnendael runs a company where people dress up and do entertainment for children’s birthday parties.

“I started The Princess Co. back in undergrad when my friend and I were looking to make some extra money on the weekends while honing our performing skills. The company at one point grew to having a cast of 11 actors, 3 admin staff, and offered over 30 characters. I recently scaled the company back to me being the lead performer again, and this has reminded me how much I love what I do,” she explained.

“TPC has grown with me for almost seven years now. Entrepreneurship runs in my family, so it’s been incredibly gratifying to run my own company and employ so many young actors and staff for a period of time. In character, I’ve given countless hugs, sung ‘Happy Birthday’ hundreds of times, and answered many pressing questions by little skeptics. Although I can’t be a princess forever, I am so grateful for all the fairytale magic,!” she said.

Hinnendael’s favorite thing is making connections with the kids that she entertains and making their birthday parties an extra special event.

“Looking up and seeing their star-struck faces, completely in awe that their favorite character is right in front of them, is so special.”

Hinnendael also entertains children with health struggles.

“I love performing and kids, so it’s the perfect combination of my passions. I’ve had the privilege to meet brave children and families undergoing health struggles, even granting last wishes for a precious little girl named Peaches. We could all use a little magic in our lives, and TPC has given me and families just that,” she said.