UW-Oshkosh Instructor Appreciates Getting to Know NDA Students as Mrs. Schroeder’s Sub

“The best part of this teaching assignment has been getting to know the students. They are a varied bunch of personalities, but all great kids,” shared Mr. Mike Foley, an instructor at UW Oshkosh and current substitute for chemistry teacher Mrs. Schroeder.

Schroeder has been on maternity leave, so teachers Foley and Mr. Ben Bobinski have recently stepped in to teach her classes.

They take turns teaching the class throughout the week. Foley admitted that it was challenging stepping into the position so late in the year, but he has enjoyed his time at NDA.

“I saw the position advertised online in January,” said Foley. “It was a bit difficult stepping into a situation that I knew very little about, but it has been a great experience.”

He said he is grateful he was able to use the teaching materials developed by Schroeder because it has allowed him to continue her teaching style and finish the school year for her students.

“The Catholic-based education offered at Notre Dame truly makes a difference in the lives of the students, teachers and all who work here,” shared Foley. “I admire the school for the values they believe in and adhere to.”

Though he is currently a professor at the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, Foley said that he hopes he can become a full-time substitute teacher at NDA in the future.