Feeding America: A Meaningful, Special Service Project

Feeding+America
Feeding America

One in eight children live in households without consistent access to adequate food, and 3.1 million children die from starvation each year. 

Though many of us may not realize the grave disparities that exist in our own communities, people face hunger in every county and congressional district in Wisconsin. They could be our neighbors, kids in our children’s classes. The possibilities go on.

Last year I had the opportunity to do service hours for Feeding America. On the way there I just wanted to go home because I was so bored. But when my brother and I walked into the building and saw the buckets of food to be shipped into small bags my thoughts changed entirely. 

It was then that I realized how many families don’t have access to fresh food. My attitude went from wanting to go home, to wanting to help people. 

The other volunteers looked just as pleased that they had the opportunity to help out. Even though it was early in the morning their positive attitudes showed through. 

Feeding America helps millions of people find food and grocery help in their communities every year. If you are in school and need service hours, or even if you just want to help out for fun, I highly recommend giving it a try to make a difference in your community.