Softball Coach, Players, Parents Optimistic About Season

“I am excited to play the best softball the team has ever played, and that I have ever played,” shared senior Klarissa Peters. 

On March 11, the NDA softball team will begin its fourth season under head coach Scott Hermes. 

Having about 23 players this year, it is the largest team that they have had in a long time. They are hoping success will come from that. 

Two seasons ago, the team struggled and ended the season with a record of 3-20. Last season, the young team improved to a record of 12-16. 

The team last year was a “work in progress.” They were a very young team with no seniors, and eight out of 18  girls on the roster were freshmen.

“They did incredible for being so young. To improve that much in one season with most of their starting lineup being freshman was very impressive,” said some parents. 

“I think this is going to be a really good season,” commented Hermes at the pre-season meeting.  

The team has three seniors this year, Klarissa Peters, Sienna Callaway and Ava Massey. 

“The team didn’t lose any seniors from last year. It is basically the same team with the addition of a few freshman this year. That is really good for the team’s chemistry,” explained some of the players. 

During the summer, about 15 girls on the team played together on the Tritons 14 or 16U summer softball teams. The team also got some reps during the high school summer league. 

The team’s hopes and self expectations are high going into this season. 

On March 28th, the Tritons will open their season with a double header against West De Pere and a really good Oshkosh West team at the UWO dome. 

“Oshkosh West finished top eight in division one last year. It will be a great test to see where we stand at the beginning of the season,” added the coach.