Sophomore Stella Starry Doesn’t Fit ‘Norm” as Softball Catcher

“Growing up I played many sports including tennis, basketball, volleyball, soccer, and track. This year, I decided to focus and put all my attention into softball,” said NDA sophomore Stella Starry.

Starry began playing softball in fifth grade when her dad introduced her to it. 

“He used to play baseball and always wanted me to try softball,” said Starry. 

When she started playing, she knew almost nothing about the sport. “I was clueless,” she said.

When she started playing, her coach asked her if she wanted to be a catcher. She decided she would try, and that has been her primary position ever since. She also plays first and third base. 

Starry doesn’t fit the “norm” when it comes to catching. She is left-handed. 

“There are definitely struggles to bring a left-handed catcher,” she explained. 

“I could be turned away from a team if there is a righty catcher at the same skill level as me. Then they might take a righty over a lefty. Some pitchers also find it difficult to pitch to a lefty,” she continued.

She also talked about how the only position “made” for lefties in softball is first base.

Despite these challenges, Starry continues to work hard.

Softball has influenced me by giving me a stronger work ethic, and better time management. It has helped in preparing me for college,” she said.

Throughout her early softball career, Starry has played on multiple teams, including the WDP Bomb Squad, ISA, NDA 16U, The School 18U and the NDA high school team. 

Starry hopes this hard work can translate to her post-high school career. 

My plans for after college are to hopefully continue my softball career at a higher level,” she explained.

She has also wanted to be in the army since she was in 5th grade. She plans to go somewhere where she can live out her dream of being in ROTC and playing collegiate softball.