Check Out the Chess Club!

Chess Club, coordinated by history teacher Greg Geiser, meets every Tuesday in Room 109. They started meeting at the beginning of the second quarter and will continue until the end of March.

In order to avoid the conflict with cross country and track season, which takes away a great number of chess club members, they meet during the 2nd and 3rd quarters of the school year.

Every few weeks the Chess Club holds arranged matches with members who attend regularly. There are weekly rankings and a system.

They have an upcoming Blitz Tournament entailing quick matches. This tournament is open to anyone and is a fundraiser for the state tournament. The winner gets double their entry fee money and an automatic spot on the state team as an alternate. 

Last year was the first year they held a blitz tournament as well as the first year they went to state.

They recently had a normal-styled tournament where NDA student Gavin Gretzinger came out on top.

The Chess Club has recently been preparing for the state tournament. The first year they traveled to the state tournament was last year. They ended up taking 3rd in their division. 

The top 4 members plus alternates will get to go. 

“Go there. Have fun. Be competitive,” said Mr. Geiser about his expectations for the state tournament. 

Mr. Geiser restarted or resurrected the Chess Club because he used to be a member when his dad was a teacher at NDA and the club adviser. 

Geiser still plays and enjoys teaching others. “ I love playing, but I love teaching younger players,” he said.