Band Director Steve Johnson Nominated for Golden Apple Award

Mr. Steve Johnson, band director for seven years at NDA, has been nominated for the Golden Apple Award. This award is for teachers who have been a positive influence on students, for teachers who are creative and passionate about their calling.

Johnson became a band director because he loves music. Here at NDA he teaches band, music appreciation and IB music classes. He has been playing professionally on saxophone and other woodwind instruments for the last 30 years. 

“The important thing to me is that students have a good experience in music and that they become kind, compassionate, hard-working adults. My hope is that I can help with that in some way,” said the nominee.

During his time here Johnson has learned not to take himself too seriously and to embrace the process of learning and growing, which involves making mistakes and taking chances.

Teaching for Johnson is finding and maintaining a work-life balance, especially since the birth of his son. 

He contends that one of the most rewarding things about teaching is working with such great students.

Johnson said a number of great teachers have influenced him over the years, but his true role model is his high school band director Mr. Don Siegrist. 

His one word to describe himself is “curious.” He chose this because he has a wide variety of interests and is always learning new things to improve on.