Intern Ian Blom Learning About Medical Business at Green Bay Plastic Surgical Associates

“I have learned how important your relationship with your patient is and how a good relationship can go a long way,” said senior Ian Blom.

Blom, well known for his achievements in sports, is an intern at the Green Bay Plastic Surgical Associates. 

“I mainly work in the business office, posting payments, running credit card payments, billing insurance and filling in some month-end charts,” Blom said. 

Blom is interning through the Personal Professional Skills class and wanted to do a dental internship, but he at first had a hard time getting an internship. 

“My interest in dentistry prompted this, I was having a hard time finding dental internships without having my dental assistant schooling done, so I reached out to my grandma who actually works at Green Bay Plastic Surgery, and they happily hired me, which I am very grateful for,” said Blom.

The experience has taught him a lot about the business side of the medical field. 

“There have been many benefits of this, such as seeing how a medical office works and operates, seeing the whole process from checking a patient in, to getting them into a room, to the actual operation, the billing and then the payment,” Blom said. 

Some of the skills Blom has learned through this experience is the ability to process payments and run reports.

Although Blom works in the business office, he gets to shadow the doctors from time to time.

“My favorite experience so far has been the couple afternoons I got to spend with the doctors, seeing what they do on a daily basis,” he said. 

“After graduation I plan to run track in college and major in biology. I then plan to go on to dental school,” said the senior.