Senior Hannah Greisen ‘Scores’ at State Final with Her Rendition of National Anthem

Picasa

Senior Hannah Greisen tore her ACL during volleyball season. Though it stopped her from being able to play basketball this year, it allowed her more opportunities to show another one of her talents.  

During a few games this basketball season, Greisen grabbed the microphone and performed the national anthem before tip-off. 

She also had the opportunity to sing for the Tritons’ state championship game at the Resch Center.

When WIAA officials asked Athletic Director Matt Koenig how many band members NDA would bring to the state basketball tournament, he replied, “None, we’re on spring break.”  But he added he could bring a singer of the national anthem.

“I’ve never really gotten nervous before any performance or game, but this time was different. The day before, and the morning of, whenever I thought about it, my heart would start to race like crazy,” she said.
Greisen didn’t have confirmation that she would be singing before the state final until a few hours before the game. 

“When I got to the Resch, and once I got on the court, I wasn’t nervous the least bit. Standing on the floor, the Resch really didn’t seem as big as it truly was,” she added. 

Greisen has always been singing. Her mom, she explained, is a very good singer and musician. She said that because she grew up around singing and listening to her grandma and dad too, she has always been inspired. 

I started singing on stage when I was 4 years old,” she said. “I have always loved to share my God-given talent, and I’ve found many ways to utilize it through many different aspects of my life.”

Other than before basketball games, Greisen has sung at other places. She has sung in masses and been in musicals. She has been a cantor at her church since she was 12 and participated in solo and ensemble competition in middle school. 

Greisen has a few more opportunities lined up for herself to sing the national anthem this summer. 

“I will be singing the national anthem for a variety of events coming up, including a regional Altrusa Club conference, Green Bay Glory Soccer games and, potentially, even a Brewers game this summer,” she explained.

Greisen said that she has never thought about music as a career, but she won’t ever stop singing. 

“I don’t think I will ever not be a singer. There are so many opportunities where I will be able to continue to share my talent regardless of the career path I choose.”