NDA Serves Makes Impact on Green Bay Community

NDA students used their time and energy to serve the community on Tuesday, April 16.

If everyone’s group of student workers equaled the effort and camaraderie of this group at the Brown County Reforestation Camp, all the effort that Administrative Assistant Jessica Sidon put into scheduling and coordinating the day was totally worthwhile.

Main Office Secretary Wendy Karabush said her group of eight “represented NDA very well,” and Mrs. Jean Thillman said she had a “great day!”

“My kids,” Thillman said, “were fantastic with the residents at Mc Cormick Home.”

Mr. Doug Guyette and Mr. Michael Prudish supervised students at the Wildlife Sanctuary.  Mr. Guyette said, “The students tore into their work without complaint, everyone contributed, and (gasp) some of us had a lot of fun!”

The math teacher added, “The AmeriCorps volunteers with whom we worked were an excellent representation of a great program that many of our students might find interesting as a form of giving back some day.”
“My group of 15 was also awesome!” said math teacher Denise Laack. “We were at Rebekah Haven Assisted Living. Our kids cleaned up outside, raking, picking up pinecones, emptying dirt out of old flowerbeds, and inside they vacuumed stairways and chopped vegetables with enthusiasm. I think they had the most fun interacting with the senior residents there. Several of our students took them outside for walks in their wheelchairs or walkers, while others played bingo and parachute ball and got in a game of kings corners! Lots of laughter to be had!”
Campus Minister Kelly Watters also had high praise for her NDA crew: “Our group had so much fun socializing with the residents at the Brown Co Mental Health Center. They shared a ton of laughs! The outside group worked hard and cleaned up the grounds in record time.”
“I hope you guys do this again next year! Sign us up for sure as a location,” the owner of Allouez Catholic Cemetery told Mrs. Chelsea McKay whose group, the owner said, “really put a dent in the yard work needing to be done.”Mrs. McKay’s own description of the group’s work was “fantastic.”
View Comments (1)