Figure Skating Team Expected To Be ‘Best Ever’

Grace Tressler, Staff Writer

Notre Dame Academy’s Figure Skating Club, advised by Madame Geyer, had its first meeting of the year last week, where they discussed big plans for the future.

The club is interested in becoming an official high school team, a part of the United States Figure Skating or U.S.F.S. organization, Geyer said.

“I want to make sure figure skating is visible as a sport because of the amount of effort that goes into it,” she said.

Though the club is open to everyone with a pair of skates, there are plenty of competitive skaters at Notre Dame this year, according to Geyer.

“With the incoming freshmen this year, this team will be the best it has ever been,” she said.

The club has enough skaters this year to compete, including multiple representatives for levels A (the highest level), B and C.

The advisor mentioned some competitions she hopes the team will travel to, including places like Stevens Point, Wisconsin Rapids and Schofield.

Goals for the Skating Club not only include competitions but also performances before Notre Dame hockey games, Geyer said.  

“Our Fan Man Steven Strutt is a part of the Figure Skating Club, and I think it is a great way to show our Notre Dame spirit at games,” she said.

Senior Maddie VanSaders has been a part of the club for two years, “…ever since Madame Geyer brought the program back to NDA,” she said.

“The best part about Skating Club is the new people I meet. It’s fun to meet new people that share a common interest and who want to become better skaters just as much as I do,” VanSaders said.

Skaters meet and practice at Cornerstone Ice Arena around 5:30 in the morning before school during weekdays.

The next meeting will be held in Madame Geyer’s room to discuss upcoming competitions.