Grammy Weddings Court Mixed Reviews

Colleen Mortell, Staff Writer

Traditionally, the Grammy Awards recognize music artists’ achievements over the past year; however, this year the popular award show was also held as a wedding celebration for 33 couples–both gay and straight.

Students at Notre Dame Academy had mixed reviews of this spectacle.

“I would rather get married just having my friends and family there.  I wouldn’t want the whole world watching my personal wedding.  It’s something about love and the people you love, “ junior Jamie Gibson said.

Senior Ben Charles disagreed: “I feel that it’s really cool that our generation has broken the barriers of discrimination and allowed such an inspirational moment to occur, especially during a live event that millions of people are watching.”

The controversial ceremony had several different responses because many felt the Grammy’s were making fun of religious beliefs.  Catholics believe the celebration of matrimony should be held in the church within the presence of God.

“There is something powerful when you look at the sacrament of marriage being done in the presence of the Holy Eucharist,” Notre Dame’s Campus Minister Daniel Kriegl said.

Catholics believe sacraments are an outward signs of inward grace, which means it is a tangible way of bringing God’s real power to the world.  

“God is present in the tabernacle.  Therefore, to make your promises and commitment before God in a very real sense it adds two major aspects. First, with God truly present, it holds the couple more accountable with God as their witness.  Second, it brings forth God’s grace and protection on the couple,” Kriegl said.

Twitter blew up with mixed reactions after the ceremony took place.  Some thought it was touching and created a bold statement in the same-sex marriage debate, while others believed the wedding was wrong and insulted the music artists who were honored that night.  

“Here it comes – the Grammys are mocking marriage.”

-Todd Starnes (@toddstarnes)

“Congrats to all the #samelove couples tonight.  You had me in tears of joy for y’all! Also… Look who caught the bouquet!!! #okuuuurrrr”

-Katy Perry (@katyperry)

“We left the grammys early.  I’ve many thoughts, most of which are better left inside my head.”

-Natalie Grant (@NatalieGrant)

The famous duo, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, performed their hit “Same Love,” which reaches out on the issue of gay and lesbian rights.

During the performance, Queen Latifah was presented on stage to officiate the ceremony.  According to Fox News, she was recently deputized by the Los Angeles County to legally conduct wedding ceremonies and will sign the marriage certificates for each couple.

The stage was designed to resemble a wedding chapel with stained-glass windows, while the aisles were filled with brides and grooms.

Later in the same performance, Madonna joined them on stage wearing a white suit and sang an excerpt of her hit “Open Your Heart.”

Originally reported by People Magazine, the producers saw it as part of the Grammys ongoing tradition of taking on complex social issues through music.

“We’re serious about this,” Ken Ehrlich, the longtime producer of the Grammys, told the Times.

“We don’t need to stoop to the level of trying to find gimmicks and sensationalistic approaches to what we do,” Neil Portnow, the president of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, added.

During an interview with CNN, Jason Miller and Yawar Charlie, a couple married at the Grammys, shared their story of the celebration.

Charlie said, “Well, going into it, we didn’t know too much.  We were approached by the director who asked us if we wanted to be part of this major civil rights movement on the Grammy Awards.”

The couples signed an agreement several weeks before the ceremony stating they would not share any information with anyone.  The restriction was lifted one week earlier, saying that they could tell close friends and family.

“You would think it would be a huge, not intimate situation.  The way everyone was clapping and cheering and crying for you, it felt like they were there for us,” Charlie stated.