English Honor Society Inducts New Members

Mallory Kaster, Senior Staff Writer

Current and incoming members of the Triton Chapter of the National English Honor Society, along with school administrators, gathered Wednesday afternoon for the club’s third annual induction ceremony.

Moderator and Notre Dame English teacher Stefanie Jochman began the ceremony by stating the Society’s mission.

“To confer national distinction upon secondary school students for high achievement in English language and literature, to provide, through local chapters, cultural stimulation in secondary school environments, to encourage interest in the English language arts, to promote exemplary character and good fellowship, and to serve society by fostering literacy.”

Following that, Jochman officially called the meeting to order, and President Olivia Flis presented three of the five new candidates seeking membership in the Society.

Jochman welcomed the new candidates, saying, “Upon careful examination of your academic accomplishments in the field of English, in recognition of what you have already done, and in hopeful anticipation of what you will continue to do, I present you to this assembly.”

All candidates said they are willing to take upon themselves the honors and obligations of membership in NEHS, responding promptly with, “I am ready for membership.”

We join with others from across the country in celebration of all the fields of English and in acknowledging that a life in which literature and good writing are a significant part, is a life worth living,” Jochman said.

Candidates then came forward and accepted certificates of membership.

“It is your outward symbol of membership, not only now, but also in years to come,” Vice President Maria Sausen said.

Candidates were also encouraged to sign the book of membership, “As a means of preserving our new society and its members’ legacy for the years to come,” Jochman said.

After accepting their certificates, Jochman officially declared the candidates members of the society.

“We welcome you into the fellowship of this chapter and to the larger fellowship of members throughout the country,” she said.

All members, new and old, then stated the Society’s commitment.

“As a member of the National English Honor Society, I shall endeavor to advance the study of all areas of English and to foster a spirit of fellowship among students excelling in all facets of the English Language Arts, ever keeping in mind our national motto, as our guiding principal ‘Duty goes with honor.’”

Members then shared a few of their favorite lines of literature.

New member and sophomore Kari Healy joined the Society out of her love of English.

“I joined NEHS to not only improve myself as a writer, but to also share the excitement of English literature with my peers.”

Healy is eager for upcoming NEHS events.

“I’m looking forward to the service trip to Franklin because I didn’t get to go last year,” she said.

In this trip, students of NEHS and National Honor Society cross the street to Franklin Middle School and join English classes of 7th and 8th grade for two days, tutoring students in writing and reading comprehension.

Jochman is excited for the new members, concluding the ceremony with, “Congratulations to you all.”

NEHS induction