Center Stage Selects Mrs. Gilson as Influential Theater Educator of the Year

Friday night at the Fox Cities PAC, Mrs. Andrea Gilson, NDA English teacher and theater director, was announced as the Influential Theater Educator of the Year by the Center Stage Awards.

On Saturday Gilson will be recognized at the Center Stage showcase event at the Fox Cities Performing Arts Center.

Many members of the creative team were in attendance when the award was announced.

“We know that Andrea Gilson has had a big impact on many theater students over the years, and this award is richly deserved,” said Principal Andrea Hearden.

The Center Stage program was launched in 2016 to support high school musical theater and recognize outstanding participants.

“I was truly honored to be nominated,” Gilson shared. “It is an extra special award knowing that students in my cast went above and beyond to nominate me.”

Gilson’s love of theater goes farther back than her time directing at NDA.

“I started acting in local community productions when I was nine and acted in various musical and play productions in high school,” she shared.

Gilson’s favorite part of theater is the process of a production.

“Watching talent evolve and grow from the first read-through to opening night is rewarding,” she said. “I think theater is a very inspirational and educational medium.”

To share her love of theater Gilson has been able to direct many shows at NDA as well as teach a Public Performance class.

“It has been so wonderful to be able to revisit my passion at Notre Dame Academy through directing and teaching Public Performance classes,” she said.