Tritons Defeat Hornets in a Thriller, Secure Playoff Berth


Staff Writer, Journalism I

After marching down the field on their first possession, the Tritons took a 7-0 lead with 3:56 left in the first period.  Great blocking led to nice yardage by Brandon Limoni and impressive pass completions by Wesley Glime.

Despite a lot of back and forth action, the half ended with the same score.

The Tritons took the second half kickoff, ran plays with James Arett, completed passes to Tommy Martzahl and scored when Glime connected on a TD pass to Max Healy.  With 7:47 left in the third quarter, the Tritons jumped out to a 14-0 lead.

And it was only going to get better.  At the end of the third quarter, ball on the Preble 43, Glime throws a bomb, and one play later Arett scores from the 4.  The PAT fails, but with 11:35 left in the game NDA leads Preble 20-0.

Game over, right?  

Not so fast, says Preble, who took the kickoff on their 26, had a big gain to midfield, and then quickly scored on a 52-yard pass play.  Now it’s 20-7 with 10:10 to go in the game.

Notre Dame responds with a big pass and run play to Josh Cribben that gets to the Hornet 42-yard line.  However, with 8:50 left Preble intercepts Glime in the end zone. Trying to gain ground fast, the Hornets take to the air–all to no avail.  They punt, and then their defense stops the Tritons.

A fumble recovery on the Tritons’ punting attempt sets Preble up at the NDA 20-yard line.  Then, to the shock of Triton fans, with 3:25 left in the game, Preble scores their second TD and it’s 20-14.

The Hornet defense stiffens, and NDA punts, pushing the Hornets to their own 29 with 2:15 to go in the game.  

Two passes later and the Hornets are on the Triton 43.  Then their quarterback ran with the ball, was tackled by Mitch Chosa, fumbled, and watched the blue-shirted Tritons celebrate a fumble recovery.

With 1:30 left in the game the Tritons ran out the clock and walked into the playoffs with a narrow escape from the Hornets.  

No one could say this game was boring.