Bellin College Field Trip Gives Insight Into Healthcare Industry

On Monday, September 25, juniors in the Personal and Professional Skills class went on a field trip to Bellin College.

This field trip, one of many the class will take, was designed to educate students about the different careers in the medical field and help them decide if it’s in their future, especially since healthcare is the largest industry in Green Bay.

To do this, students got to rotate through seven different stations teaching them about radiology, physical therapy, sonography, virtual anatomy exploration, operating room technique, emergency room simulation and nursing care. 

Students left for the field trip about halfway through first hour and returned during seventh hour.

“I think the field trip was really helpful for learning about the medical field,” shared Khalee Robinson. “My favorite part was the physical therapy station because we got to do challenges that taught us about motor skills.”

The physical therapy station, which allowed students to test their ability to catch a tennis ball while wearing glasses that impaired their vision and their ability to hit buttons quickly with the correct hand, was definitely a crowd favorite.

“My favorite parts were the physical therapy station and the radiology station,” said Ally Paprocki. “I thought they were both really fun but also educational.”

The radiology station allowed students to tattoo a banana and taught them about how radiation patients get a small tattoo to ensure the treatment is in the right place every time.

“My favorite part was also the radiology station,” shared Jasmine Rodgers, who wants to go into the medical field.

The PPS class also has other field trips planned throughout the year to teach students about other career options, such as a field trip to Green Bay Packaging on October 2.

“This is exactly the kind of experience students need to discover their passion for their career.  The Career Explorations Program aims to give students real-world experiences through field trips to learn from industry leaders in Green Bay,” said Mr. Christian Dory, the Career Explorations Coordinator.