Lt. John Katchenago, Alum, Explains NOAA Corps to PPS Class

Since graduating from Notre Dame Academy, Lt. John Katchenago has gone on to work for the NOAA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

He recently visited NDA to speak with Mr. Dory’s Personal and Professional Skills class and said, “It was a privilege to return to NDA and share about my career and education and career opportunities within NOAA with students.”

Katchenago is a mariner, which means he rotates between a position at sea and shore duty in the NOAA Corps.

“While at sea, NOAA Corps officers operate ships that map the seafloor, monitor oceanographic and atmospheric conditions, and support fisheries research,” he shared. “I am currently on my land tour. So my normal day-to-day is that of a 9-5 office job. However, I still sail or dive on various missions throughout the year.”

The NOAA Corps has around 330 members who support the NOAA’s missions and projects.

“The combination of commissioned service and scientific expertise makes these officers uniquely capable of leading some of NOAA’s most important initiatives,” said Katchenago.

He added that the mariners usually rotate between assignments every 2-3 years, while aviators rotate every 3-5 years, and both of them serve in land positions between their sea or aviation assignments.

Katchenago was working as a fisheries observer when he discovered the NOAA.

“I wasn’t interested initially because I enjoyed the bohemian lifestyle of being an independent contractor and biologist. I forgot about it for a few years until I got tired with low-paying physical science jobs,” he said. “The NOAA Corps offered great pay and benefits while allowing me to utilize my science background.”

He says the NOAA is a very rewarding career that provides opportunities for adventure and professional development, as well as the perks of any other uniformed service job.

During his time at NDA, Katchenago was involved in the Fencing Club, which he enjoyed so much he continued it in college.

He praised Mr. Dory’s PPS class and said he wished there was something like it when he was in school.

“Mr. Dory’s class didn’t exist when I attended NDA. I think the class is a wonderful opportunity for students to learn about a variety of career paths before graduating. It would have been nice to have such a class when I was in high school,” he said.