Golden Apple Nominee Loves Learning, Loves Teaching

“The most rewarding thing is when students come back after having my class and tell me that they miss it and that they liked the vibe,” said Mr. Adam Rudar, social studies teacher and nominee for the Golden Apple Award. 

Rudar has been a teacher at Notre Dame Academy since 2006, making this his 18th year here. 

Rudar, delighted to be nominated for a Golden Apple, loves teaching because he loves learning and describes himself as  “an academic.”  

“I like learning and thinking deeply about things.  Being a teacher, I get to learn every day,” he said.  

Many people influenced his decision to become a teacher. 

“A lot of people who know me well tell me that I am a natural teacher in the sense that I really can’t help myself–I like helping people and explaining how things work,” he said.

Two teachers–one from middle school and another from high school–were especially influential in his career choice.  The first, he said, “helped me find some of my confidence and encouraged me to explore interests in reading and writing.” 

His high school teacher “was incredibly supportive and affirming” and “made me feel like I belonged.”  Both “brought joy into their classroom and cared a lot about the kids they worked with.”

And now, Rudar is following in their footsteps as a teacher who cares deeply about doing a good job. In his own words, “Teaching requires that you are constantly trying to make things relatable and to connect with others.”

Senior Eva Delaney, who asked Rudar to be her IB Extended Essay adviser,  affirms he is accomplishing that goal:  “He cares a lot about helping students understand what they’re learning and works to help them succeed.”

If he had to choose one word to describe himself, Rudar said it would be “dedicated.”

“I work really hard to do a good job at whatever I am working on, especially when it comes to teaching.”