Autumn Mayer: Alum Still Writing Her Way Through Life

“I think I’ve always just really loved to read,” said Autumn Mayer, NDA 2022 graduate, and currently a sophomore at the University of Iowa.

“I definitely chose Iowa because of the English and creative writing program,” said Mayer.

Mayer got her love for reading during her fifth-grade year after reading a book by the author Jessica Day George.

Shortly after, as an offshoot, Mayer also developed a love for writing.

“Autumn was the type of person who was always reading,” said Mrs. Carolyn Brown, who taught Mayer three of her four years at NDA. “Then I got to appreciate her writing skills–she’s a grammar queen–in Creative Writing and IB English.”

Mayer is currently working on her own book and has already written a couple of book manuscripts. She has not sent any of these to a publisher, as she feels she is not ready to let go of her work.

The graduate writes most of her books in the fantasy genre but has written in the genre realistic fiction in the past.

In the future, Mayer has a project idea to write a book in the sci-fi genre.

“Genre is a fake construct; it’s just a guideline; otherwise, it is how you want to write,” said Mayer.

Mayer dreams of being a published author, but as a steady plan she wants a job in the writing industry to help others.

“I think it is very hard to be successful as a published author,” said Mayer.

Currently, at the University of Iowa, Mayer works as an “Honors Writing Fellow” through University Honors. This is where she is paired with a class and helps 8-12 students with their writing.

“I love it there,” said Mayer, while talking about her college.