Mike Hibbard, aka ‘Flaggy,’ Works, Thrives in Two Different Worlds

Mike Hibbard, better known as “Flaggy,” often works around the clock doing maintenance at NDA and running a light and sound company called On-Stage Productions.

Four years ago Hibbard, who has been at NDA for 12 years, started the company specifically for smaller upcoming bands in need of affordable light and sound for their shows.

Now he and his business partners travel all over Wisconsin and do lighting and sound for national acts as well as upcoming bands.

Although Hibbard still enjoys discovering and appreciating little-known bands and musicians, he has also interacted with big-name acts like the Beach Boys, ACDC, Guns ‘n Roses, Aerosmith and  REO Speedwagon.

“It’s our slow time of the year right now, one or two shows per month. But it’s nonstop every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day,” he explained. 

Inspired by his dad who was a bass horn player in a polka band, Flaggy became involved with music in high school and was a drummer at Wrightstown High School.

“I have been in the rock and roll business since I was 16,” he summarized. 

Inspired by drummers from Rush and Styx, he toured with a band named Helix. Little did he know those early dreams –“when I was a kid, I wanted to be famous”–would lead to his own company and much  major involvement in the music business.  He even does the audio at Elevation Church.

Students in the journalism class wanted to know two other things:  what led him to work at NDA and how did he get the nickname Flaggy.

“I was on vacation in Jamaica when I saw a guy walking up and down the beach screaming into his phone. He was Eric Novotny who worked here, and I was working at Shopko at the time,” said Hibbard.

They had a conversation about NDA with Flaggy asking if he could give him a call if there was a job opening.

The rest is history.

“Now I do everything in between opening doors and turning on lights to cleaning your bathrooms and cleaning puke,” Hibbard said.

When he came to NDA, there were three “Mikes” on staff, so the nickname Flaggy became helpful. 

And even that nickname is connected to his music background.

“This intoxicated lady called me Flaggy while I was working for a band,” he explained. “I tried telling her that I wasn’t Flaggy, but one of the band members said, ‘Stop messing with her, Flaggy,’ and the name just stuck.” 

He eventually met the real Flaggy, but Hibbard (our Flaggy) said they looked nothing alike.

He has been married 42 years, has two daughters, no grandkids and the beard since 1980.

As for his future, he says that he has no plans on changing it. 

Adviser’s Note:  This story is a compilation of stories written by several Journalism I students, including Saul Guevara, Ari Hinz, Breanna Schwarten and Jazalynn Ramos Cruz.