IB ESS Students Conduct Research at Dutchman Creek

NDA’s IB Environmental Systems and Societies (ESS) class conducted stream monitoring at Dutchman Creek in Ashwaubenon on October 5 to practice gathering data for their internal assessment.

The class’s monitoring data is part of a citizen science program through UWGB known as the Lower Fox River Watershed Monitoring Program.

“The goal of this trip was to get my students some hands-on experience gathering data in the field,” said Mrs. Molly Mattke, who teaches the class.

UWGB assigned the stream to the class. Mattke noted that the stream was low due to near-drought conditions, and the nutrient levels were not high because there has been little agricultural runoff.

“I would say the field trip was a success. It helped me learn about the types of tools that are used to collect measurements, and I would say I have a better understanding about the IA that I will be writing next semester,” said Van Pay.

Students measured water salinity, pH, and dissolved oxygen, according to Reese Van Pay, who participated in the field trip.

“Starting this month, my students will be beginning their large IA, which will be a significant portion of their IB grade,” said Mattke.

The IA will require students to develop a research question about an environmental issue, and  Mattke is encouraging her students to write about the Lower Fox River. 

The class will also conduct research through direct data collection or by using a database like the Monitoring Program used on the field trip. The program includes health data dating back 25 years.

“This trip was a great success. The students got great hands-on experience gathering stream health data, and it was fun to experience the chaos that is data collection,” said Mattke.

The class left school at 8:45 a.m. and returned at 11:20 a.m. to do chemical tests on the water samples collected until seventh period. 

Mattke is grateful to her colleagues for facilitating her students’ absence, as she acknowledges it is “difficult for teachers when large portions of their classes are out of the building at one time.”