Show Directors: Rehearsals for Annie Going Well

Notre Dame’s 2023 musical will be Annie, which will feature a large cast, as well as a live orchestra, singers and dancers.

According to director Andrea Gilson, it has “been challenging planning blocking for large scenes. I spend a lot of time on the weekends mapping out where everyone goes.”

Despite the difficult aspects, she said that rehearsals “have been going well.  The cast is extremely dedicated and putting in the extra work.”

“Seeing the growth of the cast and individual students is incredible.  I love the camaraderie and positive atmosphere that we establish,” Gilson shared. “After each rehearsal, I feel energized and inspired.”

The choral meetings have also been underway as they prepare for the show. The chorus is led by choir director Mrs. Maria Hinnendael.

“It’s so exciting to see students grow as they develop their characters. Their in-depth character studies inform their decisions, so every note and motion is in character,” said Hinnendael. “ I’m to the point now, that when I listen to the original Broadway cast recording, I’m hearing our students sing the roles!”

Hinnendael’s favorite song in the musical is split between “It’s a Hard Knock Life” for the intensity of emotion in it and “Maybe,” which expresses Annie’s hopefulness for finding her parents. 

She added they are all excited for the show, and rehearsals are going great.

“It’s such a fun experience and has been super positive.” shared Brynn Nelson, a member of the chorus. “I can’t wait for the show.”