Student Services Continues Be Well NDA Program for Students, Staff

Be Well NDA
Be Well NDA

September wrapped up NDA’s first month of Be Well NDA with positive feedback on the start of the program. 

“I think it’s a much needed program for our students this year. I can’t wait to see what it has in store,” said Mrs. Jamie Danen, a staff teacher and resource person who interacts with a lot of students.

September was all about mental wellbeing. The goal was to remove the stigma of talking about mental health, which can limit people from seeking help regarding the topic. 

“I want people and students to know that these topics are not off limits.  They are part of the human experience and talking about them together can help us all,” said Mrs. Beth Abler, who heads up the emphasis out of Student Services.. 

There was positive feedback from students and the school on the program, many enjoying the Toilet Talk papers that were posted in the bathroom with resources to help students. 

This month also highlighted the Student Services Department and how it’s here to help NDA students. NDA counselors are here to listen to students’ needs and “avoid giving unwanted advice.” They encourage students to seek them out when needed, and they are always willing to help. 

“We probably could have done an entire year just talking about mental health, but wanted to make sure students were hearing about the topics they requested and not just what the adults in the building thought would be best,” said Abler. 

October’s theme is coping skills, which the school thought was a broad theme that everyone could relate to in October, as school and homework is ramping up. 

Currently, Student Services is also working on putting together Destress Fest and getting prizes for the BeWell Bingo. If anyone has ideas on how to grow the program, Mrs. Abler is happy to hear them and encourages students to email her or “stop by anytime.”

“I am always looking to better the program and am open to that feedback as well,” she said.