NDA’s 13th Grandparents Day Set for Wednesday, Nov. 22

NDA will hold its annual Grandparents Day celebration on Wednesday, November 22, with a coffee reception from 10 to 10:30 a.m. and a bilingual English/Spanish Mass to follow at 11 a.m.

“Grandparents Day is a day when Notre Dame Academy celebrates the special role that grandparents and grandfriends play in our students’ lives. We understand that some students may not have grandparents and that some grandparents will not be able to attend. These students are allowed to bring another special grandfriend who has positively impacted their lives,” said Mr. Geno McKenna, Director of Advancement at NDA and the overseer of the event.

A registration form for students to fill out can be found on the school website if they want their grandparents/grandfriends to attend.

“I oversee Grandparents Day, and there are many departments involved. Yes, Campus Ministry plays a big role, as they oversee the mass, student mass participants, and the student volunteers who welcome grandparents to the school,” commented McKenna.

The main office and several student volunteers will be in charge of the parking lot. In order for the building to be easily accessible, the teachers’ lot will be cleared for grandparents. 

McKenna’s office organizes the coffee reception prior to the mass. Maintenance ensures everything is properly cleaned and set up, but there are “several faculty and staff volunteers that help where they are needed.”

When he started at NDA in 2010, President Bob Pauly shared the idea of having a Grandparents Day, it was implemented that year, and the rest is history.