Dance Team Coach Working to Build Legacy Program

Angela Wright

Whether it’s training during the summer, performing at football games in the fall, competing during the winter and spring, or teaching kids participating in clinics, the dance team is a part of the Notre Dame legacy and continues to build their program. 

Dance Coach Miranda Roehl plans on staying for years to come, and says, “I am working towards building a legacy program here at NDA.” 

The current dance team consists of only six members:  Cami Pakkala, Sydney Miles, Pip McGinnity Schneider, Lydia Schneider, Maddie Hilts and Brooke Tuszka.

“Even though we are a small team,” said McGinnity, “we still have an amazing time doing the sport that we love.  We all put so much effort and have so much fun together.  We have bonded so much over the course of our season, and we are hoping with the help of our Future Tritons to grow our program more.”

Coach Roehl has started two Future Triton dance teams, and the NDA team has led various youth clinics in hopes of preparing young dancers for the high school level. 

Youth clinics and the Future Triton teams teach youth simple skills and routines which they then perform at football and basketball games.

The team has a winter clinic coming up in February that will be open to K-4-8th grade.  

“It is a super enjoyable experience,” said Hilts, “and I love spending time with the younger girls as we teach them the routine.” 

The dance team starts their season in spring with tryouts and training and then begins practicing mid-summer. They start performing in the fall at football games. Their competition season, however, goes on through the winter and into February. 

Their next competition is this weekend, Dec 1, at Ashwaubenon. They have competitions going throughout winter ending in February at nationals.

Because of the long season and the team spending so much time together, with practices, performance, team activities or trips, training and competitions, the team has bonded exceptionally and has grown not only together but on a personal level as well. 

Being on the dance team has taught me important lessons about who I am as a person,” said Schneider.

“Dance Team has allowed me many lasting relationships with everyone,” added Hilts.