January’s Be Well Topic: Body Positivity

Be Well NDA
Be Well NDA

January’s Be Well topic is Body Positivity and was chosen to give students a better understanding of the movement and how they can implement it in their own lives. 

“We gave a list to Student Government of options for topics that we thought students might be interested in, and this topic came back as one to discuss. This topic wasn’t originally on my radar, but it was one that everyone wanted to hear about,” said Mrs. Beth Abler, who originally spearheaded the Be Well program. 

Body positivity is a movement that aims to accept all body types and sizes, rather than the ones that conform to societal ideals of beauty or perfection. There is an emphasis on self-acceptance, appreciation for the body’s abilities, and the self worth that each individual poses. 

One of the main goals of body positivity is to shift the focus away from how one’s body may physically look to the abilities that our bodies allow us to do. Our bodies are the reason we can walk, run, study, partake in sports, and really complete any form of activity we enjoy. 

“This topic ties closely with self-esteem which is part of what we should be thinking about this month. We should be thinking about how to talk positively to ourselves and others, and this closely links to body positivity,” said Abler. 

Body image can have a great impact on students, especially with the popularity of social media, which can fuel body dysmorphia. Different forms of social media can cause students to compare themselves to people they see online along with the perpetuation of unrealistic beauty standards. 

There are many ways that students can approach this topic this month. 

Students are encouraged to create positive new year’s goals that don’t include weight, exercise, or food related topics. They should instead focus on other areas in their lives that serve more value. There are also positive self-talk videos and affirmations that students can watch or complete. 

Other reminders posted around the school, like “Toilet Talk,” the signs posed in each bathroom stall, offer suggestions, reminders and advice. 

Students and staff are encouraged to take time to read the advice posted on the infographics, as it can be beneficial in better understanding the topic.