Semi-Formal Winter Dance February 3

This year’s semi-formal Winter Dance will be held from 8-10:30 p.m. on Saturday, February 3, in the Notre Dame Commons/Triton Center.

The Winter Dance, formerly known as the “Sweethearts Switch” dance, came from the fact that the girls asked the guys instead of the traditional way where guys asked girls.  

It transitioned to the Winter Dance seven or eight years ago.

Student Government Executive Board adviser Frau Laaksonen wanted to make the dance feel more inclusive. The stigma around the Sweethearts’ was that it was a couples-only dance, and many people felt they had to have a date. 

“Dances didn’t have to be connected to a significant other,” said Frau about the reasoning behind the change. 

Frau noticed that over the years, people thought that if you didn’t have a date, then you weren’t going, even though the dance did not require dates. So, Frau had a discussion with some other students and leaders expressing how she wanted to ‘rebrand’ the Sweethearts Switch dance, and the decision was made.

Frau expressed that all she wants is for kids to feel ‘welcome.’

“I hope to see excitement build for this year’s dance,” said Mrs. Brown. “Students in my classes know I’m concerned about school spirit, about attendance at basketball games, about participation in Cabaret and Spring Week–participation in everything. Grab your friends and head to the dance.  I like that commercial about buying some super-duper phone and then putting the phone down and enjoying your friends.” 

Nonetheless, the traditions of Sweethearts continue as some students still call it by its original name, and some girls will ask guys to the dance. However, most of those adhering to the former dance traditions appear to be students who were already dating.

Doors to the dance will close at 9 p.m. Tickets will be on sale during lunches from January 31 through February 2. Cost of the ticket is $10 and can be purchased via Apple Pay, card, check or cash.