NDA Band Heads to New Orleans for Spring Break

The NDA band will be in New Orleans from Friday to Wednesday, March 1-6,  to perform and explore different parts of the city.

“These trips are a great opportunity for students to experience another place, perform, and develop their musicianship, and spend time together developing and deepening friendships. My hope is that this experience is something they’ll remember for the rest of their lives,” said NDA Band Director Steve Johnson.

The group will tour the New Orleans Jazz Museum and the National World War II Museum, attend a concert at Preservation Hall, go on a Cajun Pride swamp tour and steamboat cruise, and attend Mass at the St. Louis Cathedral. The band will also be doing some performing of their own.

“We will perform across from Jackson Square Park and do a master class at Tulane University,” added Johnson.

Senior Adam Nienow is one of the 33 students who will be going on the trip. Nienow plays the clarinet and is excited to “spend time with the band.”

“I decided to go on this trip because it is my senior year, and it would be my last band trip ever. I also have never been to New Orleans before,” expressed Nienow.

The cost for each student to attend is $1100, but that is far from what the students will actually pay. According to Johnson, parent involvement helps to bring the cost down. There will be seven parent chaperones, and Rana Chrudimsky is acting as the coordinator for the trip.

“Each student has opportunities to fundraise for the trip throughout the year, and the Band-Aid Organizations helps each student as well. All of these things together help to make the trip affordable,” said Johnson.

The band travels out-of-state every other spring break, and they go to New Orleans every four years. They were not able to travel to New Orleans two years ago due to Covid, so the band went to St. Louis instead.

“As far as I know, the band started traveling to New Orleans with Mr. Hill around fifteen years ago. This is my fourth out-of-state NDA band trip and my second time going to New Orleans,” explained the band director.