NDA Teachers Prepare, Serve Meal at Homeless Shelter

On Thursday, March 14, Mrs. Deborah Gretzinger, theology teacher, spearheaded a group of teachers to help make and serve dinner at a local women’s homeless shelter. 

“We made and served a dinner of vegetable soup, rolls, a variety of desserts, milk, and juice. Plus we chatted with the guests a little bit and made them feel cared for,” said Gretzinger. 

She started planning the project over spring break when she found out the women’s shelter needed help. She made a plan, emailed teachers, and together they made a difference. 

“The support from the faculty and staff was phenomenal. Their interest and generosity made the whole experience possible,” said Gretzinger. 

She also emphasized how service is an NDA core value and the importance of demonstrating service to one’s community. 

“I love serving others and giving back. I believe it’s one of the central elements of living our Catholic faith,” said Gretzinger. 

She would like to get students active in their community for two reasons. 

The first reason is from the religious point of view. 

“Jesus told us to love God and love others, and serving others obeys both commands.  Many other religions also encourage their members to give back in some way,” she said.  

Even if a person is not practicing a religion, she encourages them to practice empathy by serving. 

The second reason is the attitude it brings one towards life. 

“Serving increases gratitude, self esteem, breaks social barriers and encourages a positive outlook on life,” said Gretzinger. 

She encourages people to find ways to be involved and be the light of the world.