Girls Golf Heads to State After Winning Sectional Championship

NDA’s Girls’ Golf team won the sectional championship this past week and are state-bound.

Golf is such a mentally challenging sport to participate in. Every swing, every shot and every putt matters. I am very proud of the girls and Coach Brian Bobinski that they all get to experience State,” remarked Athletic Director Matt Koenig on the team’s achievement. 

Along with winning sectionals, the team also won the regional championship and placed fourth in conference. Sophia Baek received second-team all-conference honors, and Grace Schuh, Ella Gelb and Megan Gelb each received the honorable mention award. 

Among the season’s goals for the team was to be in the top two in the conference meets, regionals, sectionals–along with bringing home a trophy from state.

The team wasted no time in the off season, lifting, practicing, and playing in summer events to prepare for the season ahead. They have been traveling to the Madison and Milwaukee area, playing teams that challenge them and push them to play their best. 

“Although it’s nice to play for trophies and awards later in the season, we always do our best, no matter the meet,” said Ella Gelb. 

One unifying remark from the team members is how their chemistry and closeness is what has helped them progress and do so well this season. The girls rely on each other, on and off the course, for support and to cheer each other on. 

“We trust each other, which is super important, especially in a sport like golf where we compete first as a team, but also individually,” said Megan Gelb. 

This bond between the girls is seen in their results. They lift each other up and rely on each other, which is what makes the team so strong. 

“Golf is a sport that most people think is individual, but it’s not. We rely on our teammates to cheer us up and rely on them and their ability to play,” said Grace Schuh. As for the future, the girls have their sights set on the state championship, which takes place this upcoming week. 

No matter what happens, they are happy they got to experience this season with one another and hope to accomplish their final goal as a team. 

We just need to take this amazing opportunity and run with it, show people what we are capable of! The season has been super fun so far, and I’d love to end it the best way possible with a really fun group of girls,” said Ella Gelb.