Beining and Carlton Will Compete at State for Nordic Skiing

Two students from NDA will be competing in the State Tournament for Skiing this weekend. 

Senior Paige Beining and Junior Lauren Carlton are on the team.

“The ski team is through Ashwaubenon High School, coached by Steve Puttman, but anyone can join from any school,” said Beining. 

Due to the lack of snow this year, they haven’t had as many competitions as usual.

Many of the races were canceled, but they have made the best of what snow we have gotten. 

“The biggest competition I have had so far this season was season nationals in Utah,” said Carlton. 

“We are extremely lucky to have Ariens Nordic Center so close because we are able to ski on snow even if there isn’t snow on the ground,” added Beining. 

Everyone qualifies for state in skiing, so the actual results from state are the most important.

The team as a whole is competing for a podium spot, top 3.

The state meet will be a 7k race.

Carlton started her skiing journey when she was in 8th grade, while Beining started hers in her sophomore year of high school. 

“I think that having kids from multiple schools on the team is one of the best parts of being on the team because you get to meet new people and form close friendships with them,” said Beining. 

Carlton has loved making new friends and enjoys seeing all those people at cross-country meets in the fall. 

Both of the girls are headed to New York for junior nationals, March 11-16.