Junior Boys Team Wins Intramural League Championship

Organized by history teacher Greg Geiser, the Intramural Basketball League is for NDA students who are not in the varsity basketball program but still want to “get some buckets.”

The league lasts four weeks with games on Saturdays. The scheduling of games are worked around school events with the first game usually held shortly after winter break.

The regular season games were used to seed the final tournament. The team with the best record got the highest seed and so on and so on.

A regular Saturday for a team would consist of 2-3 games.

Senior Matthias Vanduyse, who played intramurals for the first time this year, enjoyed the experience.

“One of my friends, Liam Blakney, wanted to make a team just for fun,” he said,  “and I enjoyed spending time with friends even when losing games.”

Dashel DeMarco, a junior on the winning team, concurred:  “Intramural basketball is an all around amazing experience. The friendship between me and my teammates grew tremendously as well as relationships with opponents. I would 100% recommend playing to anyone considering it.”

Students who are part of the varsity basketball teams at NDA served as referees for the games and were paid $15 a game.

This year there were eight teams with all boys. In the past there have been co-ed teams, girls teams, and even a faculty team.

Geiser inherited the intramural league from math teacher Brian Bobinsky, now the boys varsity head coach.

“The league is about being competitive and having fun and supporting each other,” said Geiser.

Congratulations go out to the “99 Problems But a Swish Ain’t One” juniors team for being the Intramural league tournament champions this year. 

Even though the Intramural League is over for this year, players can look forward to the 3-on-3 tournament coming up during De La Baie Fest in Spring Week.