Mermaid Cece DeRuyter Grateful for ‘Positive Cheering’ by Student Section

“We wanted lots of positive cheering and unity in our student section,” said Cece DeRuyter, Mermaid.

DeRuyter and her leadership partner Henry Streckenbach, Fan Man, are involved in the new branch of Student Government that was introduced in the spring of last year, Academy Fans. 

“I was super grateful for how our student section turned out at our first home game,” said DeRuyter when describing last week’s football game against Pulaksi. 

All of the hard work that went into preparing for Friday’s football game “paid off.”

The Mermaid was surprised with the freshmen’s school spirit despite not knowing the chants. 

DeRuyter and Streckenbach want “lots of positive cheering and unity in our student section.” 

Despite having some difficulties during halftime with the microphones, they were able to make use of what they had and were still able to produce a good halftime performance. 

“I appreciate everyone that comes to the games and cheers. It is really important that we get loud in order to support our teams and push them hard to play,” said the Mermaid. 

Academy Fans is now in action. They have assembled a group of students who have already shown their commitment to the new organization and their school. 

This branch of Student Government is still open to all grade levels. Freshmen will be able to join. 

“There will be more information on where and how to join during the Morning Show announcements in the near future,” explained DeRuyter. 

Students, she said, should look in the email that was sent out to them on Friday morning after the Morning Show.