Meet Two More Internationals: Heedy Kussow, Hanna Szabo

“I’m really looking forward to the experience here at NDA,” said Heedy Kussow, a junior exchange student at Notre Dame. 

“The school offers great opportunities in many ways,” added Hanna Szabo, another exchange student who is currently a senior.

Kussow comes from Germany, and Szabo comes from Hungary.

“Szeged (her hometown) is a little bit bigger than Green Bay, which I like,” she said. But, she has started to adapt to life here in the U.S. and is enjoying it so far.

Kussow is also “really thankful to be here because school in Germany is way harder, and I also want to improve my English skills.” She is happy to improve in areas that she likes.

However, she is not able to pursue her hobby of field hockey here, since the school does not have a team for girls. 

But, she still thinks there are amazing things about the school. “I really like the review games before tests because they help me a lot, and I also enjoy the lunch menu because it is not as good in Germany.”

On top of that, Kussow is currently living with her extended family from Green Bay which makes her feel more comfortable.

Szabo’s host family, on the other hand, was chosen at random. But she is happy to be with them and to be in Green Bay in general, especially NDA.

“I can’t really think of something the school doesn’t have. Most things I would bring home since NDA gives a lot to the students,” she said. She is also grateful to be here because her senior year in Hungary would have been very difficult, so her time here is going to be more relaxing.

Kussow also thinks the school has many great aspects, like the friendly teachers and people, as well as the fun sports activities to watch. 

Both the girls were nervous for their first day of school, but they are now more comfortable and have adapted to Notre Dame’s environment.

Their goal is to make the most of their experience here, from learning English at a higher level to just meeting new people and learning new things.

In the future, they are both planning on going to college in Europe. Szabo never planned on staying in the US, but Kussow said she “wished I had the opportunity to do so.”