Henry Streckenbach Spearheads ‘Book Buddies’ Reading Program

Henry Streckenbach Spearheads Book Buddies Reading Program

NDA senior Henry Streckenbach hosts a reading program known as “Book Buddies” at the Brown County Library Southwest Branch to help children read.

“I started this project due to the lack of reading strength in our community between kindergarten and third grade. My goal with this project is to make a step in the right direction towards helping children learn the necessary skills of reading,” explained Streckenbach.

Streckenbach got the idea when he saw an article on his kitchen counter talking about the decline of reading proficiency in young children.

“I immediately knew that this was where I could do my part in making my community a better place.”

Streckenbach started the program at the end of the summer going into this school year. He immediately realized that “not everyone gets the same benefits others have.” Streckenbach commented that not every family can afford private tutoring or school.

“I have really enjoyed reading with the kids and seeing the excitement rush to their faces when they realize that reading is not so bad.”

According to Streckenbach, the biggest struggle with the program currently is consistency.

“There are days that are slow in the library. Somedays you only see one kid, or worst case scenario, none at all.”

An average day will see two to three kids come in. 

Streckenbach is currently the only student at NDA that runs the program, but he hopes more students will get involved.

“It is awesome being around kids that you see yourself in,” he said.

Streckenbach said he plans to continue his project until he is “sent off somewhere else.” He would like to pass on the torch to anyone who may be interested in taking over.

The program runs from 4:30-5:30 p.m. on Mondays through Wednesdays. If anyone is interested in participating, they can talk to Streckenbach in the hallways or send him an email. He has sign-up forms ready to be handed out.