Environmental Club Working to Make NDA More Environmentally Friendly

Environmental Club has had an exciting year at NDA with many fun events and activities in the works for the school year. The club is a place for people to come together to learn more about the environment and world around us and how to care for it properly. 

“We are living in an incredibly important moment as we work to stop increasing climate change.  It is important for our club to both help members learn and to impact our larger community,” said Mrs. Molly Mattke, club adviser. 

“We strive to empower others and want to help build a sense of environmental stewardship. We want to interact with nature and help the community connect their faith and care for the environment,” said Maddy Rose, senior. She originally joined the club because she wanted to learn more about the environment and how to help protect it. She loves the outdoor aspect of the club and knew that this was incorporated into the club. 

Environmental Club has four leaders: Luci Cuene, Maddy Rose, Savannah Schultz and Maya Christensen, with Mrs. Mattke as club adviser. 

The club wants to go to the wildlife sanctuary this year to tour and walk around in order to learn more about the wildlife. There are other possible events in the works, including growing and hatching butterflies, trash clean up and a recycled art piece. 

“I’m super excited for the club and to help make our school more environmentally friendly,” said Schultz. 

The club is currently working on a recycled art piece that will be displayed at Cabaret Night. It will be made using single-use plastics and other items collected from NDA. 

For anyone who is considering joining the club, Rose says that everyone is welcome in the fun, inviting and creative club that brings the community together to better the environment. 

“We learn, talk and plan creative and fun ways to interact with nature and bring awareness to environmental issues,” said Rose. 

Mattke also encourages students to join the club, as we, at a Catholic institution, have a responsibility to care for God’s creation. 

“This club has something for everyone–we are working on increasing outdoor activities, eco-crafts, documentaries and a variety of activities.  We are all called to work to be stewards of creation and this is a great way to start,” said Mattke.