1924 to 2024 . . . Maddy Rose Graduates NDA 100 Years After Great-Grandfather Graduated St. Norbert High

Senior Madeline Rose’s great-grandfather graduated from St. Norbert High School in 1924, and Rose will be graduating from NDA 100 years later.

“I find graduating after my great-grandfather really special. It is really cool that we are connected through the history of Catholic high schools in Green Bay,” commented Rose.

While Rose never met her great-grandfather, her grandfather, Joe Murphy, has told her stories about him.

Rose’s great-grandfather attended St. Joseph’s Academy for grade school before transitioning to St. Norbert High School, which was affiliated with St. Norbert College. He is listed in the 1921, 1923 and 1924 yearbooks.

“His parents were Catholic and belonged to St. John’s Parish. He also played football at St. Norbert, which was a combination of high school and college students playing the sport,” said Rose.

After graduating from high school, Rose’s great-grandfather “went to Depaul University in Chicago to study law.” However, he left law school during the Great Depression.

“He returned to Green Bay to work with his father, Joseph Henry Murphy, who had a few businesses in Green Bay.”

Rose’s family has a strong connection to Catholic education in Green Bay. Her grandfather graduated from Catholic Central High School, and her mom graduated from St. Joseph’s Academy.

“I went to Notre Dame of De Pere grade school, and I wanted to continue on to Notre Dame Academy. I wanted to pursue high academics here and have a faith-based education,” said the senior.

Rose will attend Carroll University in the fall to study graphic design.

View Comments (2)